Thursday, January 2, 2014

When God Doesn't Make Sense

It's not fair! As the mother of soon to be three teenagers this is a phrase I hear often. Teens often don't find life fair as they struggle to find their way in the world. It's a tough thing to learn, life's not fair.

What they don't realize is that it's harder on Mom to watch life not be fair to her teens. It's not fair that I'm taking my youngest to get a full set of braces today. It's not fair that it will be a painful experience for him. It's not fair that he won't be able to eat popcorn at ball games anymore. It's not fair that he'll have to wear a mouth guard for BB now to protect his mouth and others'.

It's not fair that the Devil gained a foothold in the life of my oldest and he is struggling.

It's not fair that my middle child was struck with diabetes and celiac disease at the age of 8. It's not fair that we can't be God and get his body to work as it should so he can succeed in sports the way he wants to.

It's not fair! I was struggling with this today as I prayed to God and then I opened my Bible. I had just finished reading Micah as the year closed out, so I turned the page to Nahum and this is the title of the commentary introducing the book, "God's Answer to Injustice".

My soul whispered, "Yes, Lord, what is your answer to injustice? How do I deal with my anger and frustration?"

The answer is, God is good. God is trustworthy. God is able. Nahum 1:7 says, "The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him." vs 2 says, "The Lord is a jealous and avenging God; the Lord takes vengeance and is filled with wrath. The Lord takes vengeance on his foes and maintains his wrath against his enemies."

God is good. Injustice does not go unpunished. We can trust that. Even when the injustice continues we need to remember God is right there with us, he is our refuge.

We also need to remember to pray for those who cause us injustice as God is also just. He "maintains his wrath against his enemies", they will not escape God's justice even if we don't bear witness to it we can be sure it happens. If you have read of God's vengeance you know it's not something to be on the receiving end of. Pray for those who are not fair, pray for their repentance that they may escape God's wrath and live for eternity because God is trustworthy and he's got your back.

No comments: